You want to enhance your smile and be rid of the imperfections that keep you from feeling confident. You know you are ready to entrust your pearly whites to a qualified and licensed professional who can transform your appearance. But how long does cosmetic dentistry last? The only way to find out is to read on to discover the various timeframes for each service so that you can better prepare for your smile’s future.
What is the Average Timeframe for Cosmetic Dentistry?
Depending on the type of service you receive, your results can last months or years. Whether you choose veneers, teeth whitening, direct bonding, or metal-free restorations, most cosmetic services do require replacement or touch-ups to maintain results; however, it is also important to note that you can extend your new smile by taking proper care of it.
The typical timeline you can expect with cosmetic dental treatments includes:
- Veneers – These thin sheaths of porcelain can last 10 years or more.
- Teeth Whitening – The results, no matter if performed in-house or at home, can last several months.
- Direct Bonding – Typically, direct bonding can last for several years before it needs to be replaced.
- Metal-Free Restorations – These can last 10 years or more as long as you take proper care of them.
How Can You Extend the Life of Your Cosmetic Results?
No matter the type of cosmetic service you receive, it’s important that you follow certain steps to keep your smile looking its best. Over time, wear and tear, stains, and problems can occur if you do not take care of your teeth. As a result, your investment will seem less worthwhile if you need replacements or touch-ups sooner than necessary.
To avoid this problem, make sure that you are:
- Maintaining optimal oral hygiene at home by brushing, flossing, and rinsing regularly. If you have veneers, make sure that you use non-abrasive toothpaste, as it will scratch the coating and damage your veneers.
- Never using your teeth as tools to open packages or containers.
- Wearing a mouthguard if you play sports or suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding or clenching) while you sleep.
- Continuing to see your cosmetic dentist every six months for regular checkups and cleanings to keep your restorations and teeth in optimal shape.
Cosmetic dentistry can be a life-changing solution if you’re ready to transform your smile and your appearance. With minimal maintenance, you can enjoy a new and improved you for years to come.
About the Authors
Pelican Landing Dental is a family-friendly dental office that offers a wide range of comprehensive services in one convenient location. Our kind and caring staff are committed to helping you feel at home and will assist in helping you to beautify your smile with one of our many cosmetic dental treatments. Contact us via the website or call (239) 948-2111 to learn how we can help you.