Bonita Springs Dental Sedation
The friendly team at Pelican Landing Dental works hard to make sure every patient feels welcome and comfortable throughout their time in our office. However, we know there are some patients who experience more advanced dental phobia or anxiety. Even the kindest and gentlest care may not be able to relieve this stress or phobia. For these patients, those who need advanced care, or those who have difficulty numbing with local anesthesia alone, we may recommend dental sedation. Please call our team to find out more or schedule an appointment.
ORAL CONSCIOUS SEDATION
While modern dentistry offers a number of different sedation methods, we often recommend oral conscious sedation. Using a common medical sedative, we can help patients achieve an advanced state of comfort and relaxation. At a predetermined time prior to your appointment, you’ll simply take the medication prescribed by one of our knowledgeable dentists. Then, you will be able to breeze through your appointment, even if you are undergoing a relatively complex procedure.
What to Expect with Oral Conscious Sedation
The sedation medication is usually in the form of a pill. You will simply swallow it with some water, and within an hour, the effects of the sedative will start to settle in. By the time you reach our office, you’ll already be very relaxed. As the name oral conscious sedation implies, you will likely remain awake throughout treatment, but you'll be completely relaxed and pain-free. If you do drift off to sleep, it should be easy for us to awaken you with a gentle shake.
This long-lasting form of sedation will remain in effect for several hours after treatment, so you’ll need to have a trusted friend or family member drive you to and from your appointment. Don’t plan to resume normal activities until at least 24 hours following your dose of sedative. Your initial recovery period will be a great opportunity to relax at home and watch movies or get some extra shuteye.
Benefits of Oral Conscious Sedation
Some of the most noteworthy benefits of oral conscious sedation include:
- This is a needle-free form of comfort control, which makes it ideal for patients who dislike the pinching sensation that comes with injections.
- Memory loss. Most patients are happy that they do not recall what happens during their procedure. That means there is no reason to be anxious about the sights, sounds, smells, or other sensations that you will experience while our team works on your smile.
- It begins before your appointment. For patients with dental phobia that makes them hesitate before leaving home for their appointment, oral sedatives may be the perfect solution to their dental fears.
- It is powerful. Oral conscious sedation is quite powerful, which makes it a valuable tool in the fight against dental anxiety.
- Oral conscious sedation is safe for most patients. We’ll perform a thorough medical screening before we determine which specific medication to use and what dosage is appropriate for you. Be sure to let us know if you have any allergies or systemic health conditions.
Would you like to learn more about how your sedation dentist in Bonita Springs can help you relax during your next dental appointment? Schedule a consultation with us today.