10 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Teeth

Closeup of smiling woman pointing at her teeth

Even though they’re relatively small, your teeth play a big part in your life! Every day, you use your pearly whites to chew, talk, and smile. However, you probably don’t spend too much time thinking about them! The truth is that teeth are one of the most unique and interesting parts of the human body. Read on as we go over the top 10 things you may not know about your teeth!

1.) Teeth Are Like Fingerprints

Your teeth are unique to you, just like your fingerprints. That’s why dental forensics exists, which is the practice of using dental records to identify human remains.

2.) You Have 32 Permanent Teeth

A full set of permanent teeth contains 32 pearly whites, which is 12 more than a full set of baby teeth. However, most people have their four wisdom teeth removed, making a set of 28 permanent teeth.

3.) Enamel Is Harder Than Bones

Tooth enamel is the hardest material in the human body. When it comes to hardness alone, it surpasses even that of your bones!

4.) Enamel Can’t Grow Back

Unlike your bones, enamel isn’t a living tissue. This means when it’s damaged, injured, or worn away, it will not grow back naturally.

5.) Teeth Have Nerves (That Can Be Removed Without Issue)

The enamel encases the living tissues, or pulp, of your teeth. These tissues contain a nerve for each tooth, which helps you sense pressure and temperature. However, these nerves can be removed without complication if they become damaged or infected.

6.) Your Toothbrush Only Cleans 60% of Your Mouth

While brushing your teeth is important, studies show that it can only effectively clean about 60% of your mouth. The remaining 40% can only be cleaned by flossing.

7.) Saliva Helps Prevent Cavities

Did you know you’re at a higher risk of cavities if you have a dry mouth? Saliva constantly washes over the teeth to clear away lingering sugars and plaque, and it also brings minerals to the enamel. That’s why your body naturally produces about a quart of saliva every day!

8.) Teeth Keep the Jawbone Strong

The roots of your teeth are embedded in the jawbone and stimulate blood flow every time you chew. When a tooth goes missing, the jawbone begins to shrink away due to lack of circulation in that area. That’s why tooth loss often causes a sunken, aged facial appearance.

9.) A Healthy Smile Begets a Healthy Heart

Research suggests that keeping your teeth and gums healthy can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease.

10.) Your Smile Is a Window to Your Health

Your teeth can tell you and your dentist a lot about your overall health. Studies indicate that over 90% of all systemic health problems show symptoms or warning signs in the mouth.

About the Practice

At Pelican Landing Dental, our highly experienced team is dedicated to providing comprehensive care for the families of Bonita Springs and the surrounding communities. We pride ourselves in giving each of our patients personalized attention and honest information so they can take charge of their oral health. With a focus on customer service, excellent results, and patient comfort, you can count on us to keep your smile looking and feeling its best. To learn more, we can be contacted online or at (239) 948-2111.