Professional teeth whitening in Bonita Springs is a popular treatment. It is effective and safe, and it produces dramatic results. Unfortunately, however, those results do not last forever because teeth are porous; pigments can sink into them and eventually cause discoloration. How can you prevent that from happening too quickly to your freshly brightened smile? The key lies in choosing foods and beverages that have little to no potential for staining your teeth.
The White Diet
The first 24 – 48 hours after a whitening treatment are a critical period. Because the whitening process opens the pores in your teeth, they are especially vulnerable to new stains in the first day or two following the procedure. That’s why you should temporarily stick to a “white diet” — a diet that is free of any highly pigmented foods.
Examples of foods and beverages you can enjoy on a white diet include:
- Clear and white drinks. Water, coconut water, milk, and white wine are all safe choices. However, keep in mind that your teeth might be extra sensitive, so you should limit your consumption of wine or other acidic beverages.
- Foods with little or no color. Bananas, pasta with white sauce, rice, yogurt (without extra fruit or coloring), cheese, and egg whites are all okay to eat on a white diet.
There is no official list of foods and beverages for a white diet. Just remember that if it would leave a stain on a white t-shirt, avoid it! If you have any questions about whether or not a specific food is safe to eat, ask your dentist in Bonita Springs for guidance.
Long-Term Food Options
Following the first 24 – 48 hours, you can feel free to incorporate a wider variety of foods into your diet. However, caution is still in order. You should enjoy coffee, tea, and red wine in moderation if you choose to consume them at all. Also, bear in mind that things like dark berries, red pasta sauce, soy sauce, and curry all have the potential to cause stains.
When you do consume staining foods or beverages, these tips can help to minimize the discoloration to your teeth:
- Enjoy dark beverages through a straw to reduce the amount of contact they have with your teeth.
- Thoroughly brush your teeth 30 – 60 minutes after you eat or drink anything that might stain your teeth.
- Use a whitening toothpaste to keep new surface stains to a minimum.
Teeth whitening can dramatically brighten your smile in just one dental appointment, but it’s up to you to make sure your results last as long as possible. Making wise dietary choices can help you to do just that.
Meet Our Dentists
Pelican Landing Dental is proud to have four talented dentists on our team, including three general dentists and a prosthodontist. Altogether, they have decades of combined experience and more than 1,600 hours of continuing education. They take great pride in helping patients achieve healthy, gorgeous smiles. Professional whitening is just one of the many services they offer. To learn more about Pelican Landing Dental and how we may be able to help you, contact us at 239-948-2111.